Friday, December 12, 2008

Civic Theatre of Allentown, Wert's Cafe

I checked out the Civic Theatre's performance of "A Christmas Carol" for the first time last year. I - Loved - It.


I loved it in the way people love community theatre, the way people love "A Christmas Carol," and the way people love traditions. Maybe a little cheesy. Maybe a little amateur. But downright cute. I resolved to bring my parents next year.

I think I ordered the tickets in September or October, and as the date approached, I made plans to meet my parents for dinner beforehand.

Mom suggested Wert's Cafe, which I had heard of, but had never seen. It's at 515 N 18th St in the West End of Allentown, sort of behind Ringer's Roost and a block from the Fairgrounds. No web site, but believe me, they don't need one. There was a wait when we arrived, and there was a wait when we left. This is the kind of neighborhood restaurant every neighborhood needs. A friendly server, a menu with all kinds of tasty traditional dishes, and a wine list that reads:
Chardonnay
Pinot Grigio
White Zinfandel
Merlot
Cabernet

Love it. I ordered the Wert's Cheeseburger, which comes with onions and mushrooms. Yum. We also shared a basket of "onion rings" which was really a MOUNTAIN of "onion strings," half of which wrapped up to bring home. We walked the block-and-a-half to the theater.
The performance at the Civic was adorable, just like last year. When I tell you that the cast is more than 100 people, and more than half of those people are under the age of 13, I hope that you will appreciate just how adorable.
The theater has seen better days, and it's the kind of community asset that cherishes every $50 donation, you can tell by the programs. I saw "Tuesdays with Morrie" in their black box theater across the street last year, and really enjoyed it. They also screen indie films, which always look interesting but tend to be the kind of movies I rent on Netflix. I should make a point to go to the Civic now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment