Friday, January 30, 2009

Ambre and The Cafe




I did not wear sensible shoes tonight, because I am sick of wearing my snow boots everywhere. I teetered across Broad Street into Ambre Studio (310 W. Broad St., Bethlehem), and found my parents near the piano inside an absolutely beautifully-restored row home-turned gallery: Ambre Studio. I admit, I mocked Ambre earlier for not having art on its web site. Inside Ambre, however, there is art everywhere - including both restrooms. Exhibits A & B:




The food was catered by Sagra, and the wine flowed freely into clever glasses that had places for your fingers just so. See this lady carrying her glass with ease? Robyn and Jim make a cheese thing (to call it a dip would be an insult) that makes my mouth water just thinking of it. I was interested in the gallery opening, but it was the opportunity to taste that sweet whatever again that sealed the deal.





The gallery's hostess asked me if I was one of the artists, and I apologetically replied I wasn't, then realized that the artists were some of the only people under 50 in the room. I am definitely not an artist, but I have a lot of respect for people who are, especially the person that painted this beautiful ceiling:
After we sniffed around the gallery for a while, Mom suggested we pop over to The Cafe (221 W. Broad St., Bethlehem), across the street again (uh-oh) to grab dinner.



I was feeling pretty tired after working 12 consecutive days, 6 of those at an altitude of 8200', so I agreed to a drink and said I'd be turning in early. The Cafe offers French and Thai appetizers and entrees, and a dessert showcase to rival any in the area. Dad and I had dinner there shortly after we moved to the area, and though I haven't been back, it isn't because I didn't like it. It's probably because it's too good and too close (dumb reasons). On second thought, I never think of it when we are planning to meet friends, since it's sort of a quiet place to meet for a romantic dinner, and because not everyone likes Thai cuisine (and it's good Thai too!). The building matches its neighbors: Victorian architecture, well-maintained landscaping and exterior, but one thing sets it apart: NEON.


No comments:

Post a Comment