Saturday, January 31, 2009

Network of Young Professionals

One of my first gigs out of school was to run the young professional membership group of the Smithsonian. While it was not without its absolute pleasures (collaborating with Gourmet Magazine, lighting up the elephant during a gala at the Natural History Museum, seeing my FAVORITE MUSEUM, American Art, under renovation), it was a hell of a lot of work. And I was getting paid for it. Snap to my life now in the Lehigh Valley: there is a group of completely dedicated volunteers who pull off way more events than I ever did, and have toiled to make an area that has not historically had a whole lot in the way of young professional events, cool. According to the Lehigh Valley Economic Development Corporation, young professionals are the key to attracting and keeping top employers. Now, I'm not going to front and act like I go to a lot of NET YP events, but I have been to a few, and I have met a couple of the current and former leaders, and they are really nice, friendly people. I was disappointed to read that their former treasurer stole $17K from the group, and sad to hear that he can't pay it back. I believe there is a special place in hell for people who use their leadership position with a nonprofit organization to embezzle from it. Sick. Incidentally, Courtney sent an email this week with a few upcoming NET events: a cabaret-style performance April 11 at Zoellner Arts Center and Art After Hours at the Allentown Art Museum (!!!! Impressionist Masters!!!!!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment