Monday, June 08, 2009

Camody Shoe Service



I tend to wear my shoes until the heels are ground down to a nub and the arch is completely broken. I have always done this, and in DC, especially walking to and from the Metro, I went through quite a few new posts, insoles and slip pads. I was on a first-name basis with my cobbler at The Cobbler's Bench, in the basement of an office building at Connecticut Ave & M Street.

Here in the Valley, my shoes get a lot more mileage, since I'm not hoofing it on sidewalks as much. The worst wear they get is the rug-burn on the back of the right one from putting the pedal to the metal in my Jetta.

I've had a pretty good run so far, not having to repair a single pair of shoes since we moved here three years ago. But the day came, and I asked around: where do people get shoes repaired around here? The Eastern PA Biz Journal recently ran a feature on the topic, but the resounding answer from people I asked was: Camody Shoe Service (502 N. 15th St., Allentown). Despite my earlier positive experience with Shepherd Hills, Camody is closer to where I live (and downtown), so I thought I'd start there.

I dropped off the shoes off on Thursday, and they were ready by Monday. Re-heeled and ready to hit the pavement again, for a mere $8. Definitely cheaper than replacing them altogether!

The shop is open 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-Th, 7:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m. F, and 8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Sat.

3 comments:

  1. Great Post. Thanks for the information. Places like these are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place is amazing! There is a similar spot off of William Penn Highway in Palmer Township, but I cannot remember the name of it. A one-man band who does wonders for any type of shoe or leather accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it called Rick's? I read about them, too.

    ReplyDelete