Friday, September 25, 2009

Pinkberry in Bethlehem?!


I took a walk down Third Street today to get a cup of seriously strong iced coffee from Hard Bean Cafe.

I noticed some guys working in the space that used to be Southside Serendipity. One was posting a sign for Euro Yogurt. I asked a friend in one of the retail stores on the block, and she said she heard a rumor it was going to be a Pinkberry. I always get Sprinkles Cupcakes and Pinkberry mixed up, so I had to Google it. Now I remember: I had Pinkberry frozen yogurt last summer when I was in Queens/Flushing for the US Open.

From their web site:

"The creation of Swirly Goodness dates back to January, 2005 when co-founders
Shelly Hwang, an experienced restaurateur, and Young Lee, a Parsons-trained
designer with a fascination for desserts and frozen treats, blended past
inspirations from an Italian gelato store with fond memories of mixing fruit
with soft serve at a Hawaiian pineapple plantation. The result was Pinkberry’s
perfect marriage of extraordinary taste palates, inspired design and a social
experience that indulges the senses. Today, Pinkberry has grown to over 70
stores and our wildly popular tart yogurt has become known as “the taste that
launched a thousand parking tickets.” Pinkberry is the most talked about, great
tasting, premium frozen yogurt available."
The most talked about yogurt? Are there any other great tasting, premium frozen yogurts available? Isn't this kind of a Blue Ocean situation?

Regardless of whether it's ACTUALLY Pinkberry or a place that's a lot LIKE Pinkberry, it's great to see some more businesses giving it a go on the Southside. I think the only frozen treat option now is The Cup on Fourth Street, and they are best known for tasty homemade hard ice cream.

Update: Euro Yogurt (129 E. Third St., Bethlehem) has been open for a while now, but I have been too busy trying all the toppings to post about it. I love the fresh mango, Godiva chocolate and Fruit Loops. Prices start at $2.50 and go up with each additional topping. It is a tasty, healthy treat (if you don't count the toppings) and I heard a rumor that there will be a cereal bar soon. Lucky Lehigh students: Free wifi and tasty froyo? I would have loved that when I was at AU!!

2 comments:

  1. oh, we AU students have wifi and froyo now, you just have to go to friendship heights to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, so jealous! AU is looking good; are you enjoying it? The only thing I can think of that was "better back then" was that the Tavern served beer!

    ReplyDelete