Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Singles in the Valley (II)

I really appreciate everyone's honesty in their response to my recent post about being single in the Lehigh Valley. I thought of you all when I read Lisa Gotto's post on the Lehigh Valley Style blog. Lehigh Valley Style is hosting a Singles Happy Hour at Looper's on the Southside of Bethlehem on September 15, 5:30-7:30 p.m.

A woman who works in my dentist's office has been telling me for years about how her son never meets any nice young women. Every six months I get the same story - no prospects. I figure the guy must be either (a) shy, (b) a workaholic and/or (c) gay, because most single women I know would at least go on a first date with a guy who (his mother claims) is good looking, has a job and has his own apartment, if they were asked. Am I right? What should I tell her the next time I'm in the chair for a cleaning?

8 comments:

  1. I'm stuck living at home while I pay for and attend school so I guess I'm out of luck considering I am also without a job. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/02/2009

    I don't really know what I would tell the woman in the dentist's office. It's one thing if her son spends all his free time at home playing video games; then it's really his fault due to not even trying. But if he is social with his coworkers, has hobbies/plays sports that involve other people, and tries online dating, etc. then I really don't know what to say. He would be no different than a lot of the frustrated singles like myself in this area. I'm not shy, I'm not gay, I'm not a workaholic, I'm decent looking, I've got a good job and I'm a homeowner but I can't seem to find a woman to date either. I really don't know where they are all hiding. Nobody shows an interest through the daily course of my life. And as I approach age 30, more and more are engaged or married, making it more difficult. I'm not trying to appear bitter, I'm very happy with my life, but I think I speak for the frustration of many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering - if it was your mom who was talking about you to her patients, would you be mortified? Would you go out with a girl your mom's patient recommended? Or is that just too weird?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd figure, hey why not. The worst that can happen is a bad date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and I loved this article. I also just recently moved to the valley and have had the hardest time meeting any single men! Everyone has the mantra of "I don't want to meet someone at the bars" but I might have to check out this singles night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/04/2009

    What age group is the singles night at Loopers targeted towards? I wouldn't want to go and have it be all people 20 years older than me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crowd I've seen at past LV Style happy hours has been mostly late 20's, 30's and 40's (older folks are usually coupled). Check out the magazine's web site for photos from the last happy hour. Here's a link: http://www.lehighvalleystyle.com/style-scene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2/09/2010

    The guy is just not going to tell her that he is dating so many that there is no real prospects because he is a player of many -- It is so easy now to date quite a few at a time and find more and more on the internet, dating sites, old friends, facebook, email, texting, ...... check out his cell phone and email if you don't believe that!

    ReplyDelete