Tuesday, November 10, 2009

She's Crafty

My SIL and I were chatting recently about what there is to do in Memphis. She's a recent transplant there and is looking to make friends and get active in her new city. I started Googling away and found a bunch of Meetup groups in her area. I figured she's kind of crafty so a knitting group might be fun. I don't know what it is about young women and needlecraft. Courtney has been talking about learning to stitch-n-bitch forever. I used to make pretty awful counted-cross-stitch designs and give them as presents, but I've hung up my needles for a while. I could be persuaded if the yarn had a really cool name (like Mauch Chunky!) and was made locally!

There are knitting stores that host knitting circles and classes on site, and libraries that invite patrons to BYOK. Classes are cheap - often $5 or less - and the stores often offer discounts on your purchase of supplies.

I found a few knit shops in the Lehigh Valley. Did I miss any good ones?
- Tangled Yarns, 519 Main Street, Bethlehem
- The Knitter's Edge, West Broad St. at 15th Avenue
- Knitwitz & Sew Much More, 828 Main Street, Hellertown
- Conversational Threads Fiber Arts Studio, 8 S. 4th St., Emmaus

There's a Whitehall Knit Wits Meetup Group that gets together weekly at Barnes N' Noble. Also, Allentown used to have an S-N-B group, but their web site is outdated. Happy stitchin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment