Tuesday, December 15, 2009

19th Street Allentown

the store's exterior at night

The Lehigh Valley has some great shopping districts, and I don't mean the Promenade Shops (2845 Center Valley Parkway, Center Valley) or the Lehigh Valley Mall (1491 Macarthur Road, Whitehall). I am referring to South Side Bethlehem, Historic Bethlehem, Downtown Easton, Main Street Hellertown, Downtown Emmaus, and my recent fave... 19th Street in Allentown.

Last week I joined a group of commercial real estate brokers and developers on the West End of Allentown for a walking tour of 19th Street and a preview of what's to come.

Frank Shipman gave us an update on what's going on in the former Shanty Restaurant. The building will soon be a salon and spa with a full-service restaurant. He is looking for a distinctive eatery to lease the 3,000 square foot frontage of their space. Then we visited the Civic Theatre (527 North 19th Street, Allentown), where my family will be enjoying the annual production of "A Christmas Carol" on Friday night. We heard about the West End Alliance's efforts to improve the quality of life in their urban neighborhood. The Alliance put together "19 Fun Facts About 19th Street," an inspiring list for any neighborhood, let alone one in Allentown! A few tidibits I didn't know: The Allentown Farmers Market attracts 25,000 people weekly, and the West End has its own dinner theater, Pines Dinner Theater (448 North 17th Street, Allentown).

When I saw the sign for Step in 4 Mor (1823 W Allen St., Allentown - a block off 19th Street) when I was turning around to go home, I pulled in to the parking lot. Niki told me about the store, which is owned and operated by her friend, Muhlenberg College alum Stephanie Morffi. I'd seen her ads, and I've been told that if I liked Shuze, that I should check out what Steph's got going on in Allentown. Steph and Vino, her adorable dog, were inside the store when I stepped in. Steph's done a great job selecting beautiful, of-the-moment shoes. I picked up a pair of Sam Edelman ballet flats with a crocodile-patterned leather and leopard-print fabric lining, and definitely selected an outfit to go with them today so that I could break them in! The store also has a fully-stocked wine fridge, some perfect housewarming gifts for holiday parties (including a girlie flask with hot cocoa mix), and great accessories you might just want to gift to yourself.

Check out little Vino, posing on the zebra-print settee!

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie12/22/2009

    Thank you Megan!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the store and my puppy Vino!! I saved your blog page to my favorite I can't wait to read it all the time!!!! Happy Holidays!

    Stephanie Morffi
    www.STEPin4MOR.com

    ReplyDelete