Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dreaming about spring

I can't help but dream about springtime when the temperature reaches over 50 degrees twice in one January week. As I ran through the streets of Bethlehem, I let myself forget the winter for an hour and fantasize about days of consistent warm weather.

That's why I love reading Marie's Gardening Blog, with pictures of green things growing out of the ground. Last week, she wrote about a series of seminars on Spring Gardening being offered in Nazareth and Allentown by Penn State.

Our backyard garden is indirectly protected from bunnies by our neighbors' indoor/outdoor cats, some of whom are efficient little hunters. But we still get bugs, and I probably don't fertilize like I should. I have a lot to learn. I inherited my tendency for a green-ish thumb from my parents, whose garden space easily exceeds our property size and come summer, is full of flowers, herbs, and veggies galore. I have been pretty successful at growing herbs, moderately successful at growing vegetables, and am always looking for tips. A growing pile of seed catalogs is tempting me.

Is anyone else planning their garden or thinking about spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment