Saturday, January 30, 2010

Winston's West Indian & American Restaurant

This week I felt a flashback to the days when J and I would hit up the Indian buffet at 11th and K Streets, NW, for lunch. Mayur Kabab House was tucked inside an old Tudor-style building on the edge of the business district, and served up a handful of authentic South Indian dishes every day for $5.95, including naan (the price has gone up since then). It was also the only DC restaurant I knew of that served A-Treat beverages.

Nancy, Jenny and I ventured out in the 16 degree weather on Friday to try out a place called Winston's (619 N. Seventh Street, Allentown) on Mike's recommendation. (Nancy is always down for lunch.) All we knew was that the restaurant was on 7th Street between Tilghman and Allen and that served Caribbean food.

Winston himself was presiding over the counter, and couldn't have been more welcoming or more friendly. What a smile. After he showed us what each of the lunch specials looked like (chicken -in jerk, curry or brown sauce, about a half a pound of rice and beans, fried plantains and mixed sauteed veggies for $5.95 - felt vaguely familiar!), we each selected a different dish and settled in at our table with drinks. I chose a Ginger Beer I'd never tried before, but I had to give props to Jenny for the A-Treat cola. In addition to my yummy curry chicken-on-the-bone (see above), Winston gave me a taste of his special curried goat. I really enjoyed both, and I'd compare the goat to lamb (which Winston patiently reminded me was also in the mutton family - silly me). I might even get the curried goat as a main dish next time I go, and I'll definitely pick up a huge piece of Francilia's coconut-pineapple cake, too!
After our visit, I did some internet research. Seems like there are some other Winston's fans out there:
Now I've got to get over to Jah' S Five Star Jamaican Restaurant (506 Northampton Street, Easton) to compare. Who's with me?

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delish. I also would recommend the lunch special at El Rey del Mofongo on Hamilton in the 900 block. Huge plate of rice, beans, chicken and a can of soda. I forget the exact price but it's in that range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, I work right in that area, Hillary. I'm gonna have to find that place! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the fresh perspective. My son, his wife and my granddaughter live just two blocks from this restaurant, but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post...i'm going tomorrow for winston's lunch...619 N 7th street is the address

    ReplyDelete