Monday, February 01, 2010

An almost perfect day in Bethlehem

It was an almost perfect afternoon in Bethlehem. The part that kept it from being completely perfect was the fact that I had to pay a parking ticket at the Bethlehem Parking Authority. I figured I would save a stamp and hand-deliver my payment, since I was already shelling out 10 bucks for an expired meter!

Things improved when I had a few minutes to kill before visiting my friend Moe's house. I popped in to La Petit Provence (458 Main Street, Bethlehem), a shop I had noticed before but had never ventured into. It's obvious the moment you walk in that it's not like any other store in the Lehigh Valley. The owner, Pat, personally selects quality European table linen and gifts for her shop, including table linen with napkins to match, runners and placemats in a variety of fabrics, custom French Macrame curtains, cookware and flatware, and pottery from France, Italy and Mexico. Pat and I had a great conversation about the area, and it turns out, she grew up in the neighborhood where we live now. I picked out two tablecloths I loved, but I couldn't decide, so I promised to return after lunch.

After checking out Moe's new digs, we walked over to my favorite little Mediterranean/Middle Eastern spot, Petra Mediterranean (81 West Broad Street Bethlehem). The lunch buffet is gone, but the full menu was available. I ordered a green salad and a mixed platter of mezze - tabbouleh, muhamarrah, hummus, and a couple of others - and was in heaven with the mixture of flavors and freshness of ingredients. The food, the conversation, and the atmosphere, hit the spot. Two lunches and drinks came to less than $25.

After lunch, Pat encouraged me to take both tablecloths home to see how they looked on the table. We ended up with a beautiful green cloth with olives and olive trees on it. It almost made up for the parking ticket.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for providing such great insight to the LV area. I am also a transplant to the area, and appreciate your take and new findings in the area. I also wanted to mention if you enjoy Mediterranean/Lebanese food, I highly recommend trying Phoenicia in Easton. It opened in December, and I've gone 3 times since and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, love2shop. I have heard nothing but good things about Phoenicia's food and entertainment and definitely plan to stop in. Is it BYOB or do they have a full bar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is BYOB as of right now, but I heard the liquor license was recently approved (this week I think?) and a bar will be added very soon.

    ReplyDelete