Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blizzard baking

Muffin by me; gorgeous handmade tile backsplash courtesy of Steven Goldner

I asked my mom yesterday whether she baked things when it snowed. It seems to me that the colder it gets outside, and the higher the drifts get, the more I find myself inexplicably up to my elbows in flour. Maybe it's the warmth of the oven, the need to "use up" what's in the fridge (in my case, a gift box of beautiful Honeybelles from Harry & David), or cabin fever. Regardless, I am channeling two of my favorite LV bloggers (Anne and Capri) now when I share with you my recipe for a snowbound alternative to my favorite cranberry orange muffins from Fresh Market (Promenade Shops, Center Valley).

It is adapted from a recipe for Sticky Orange Muffins that I found in the Fannie Farmer cookbook (the one that my mom used a lot when we were little, more evidence). They aren't too pretty, but they taste like a cross between a scone and a muffin with fruit on the bottom.

Blizzard of 2010 Orange/Cranberry/Scone/Muffins
2 oranges
1/4 cup honey
2 C flour
1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 T baking
powder
1 t salt
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 C milk
5 T butter, melted
1/2 C Craisins


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pans. Grate outer layer of orange zest; set aside. Remove the rest of the peel and cut the oranges into slices about 1/4 thick. Remove seeds and set aside. Put about 1 teaspoon of honey in each muffin cup and place an orange slice on top.

In mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add the orange rind, Craisins, eggs, milk, and melted butter, and stir until just mixed. Spoon batter over the orange slices, filling each cup until about 2/3 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm, especially with tea. Any leftovers should be refrigerated. Align Left

Enjoy, and here's to surviving the snowiest winter in Lehigh Valley. It's just 37 days until spring.

1 comment:

  1. haha I love that Fannie Farmer cookbook.... my very old beat up one has long sections in the front about how to set the table and good etiquette for dinner parties.

    That muffin looks great.... baking is a great activity for a snow day!

    ReplyDelete