Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ocean Restaurant's Wine Dinners

I had the chance to introduce some friends to Ocean (235 Ferry Street, Easton) last week. We were in the city for an all-day seminar and wanted to unwind a little before heading home.

The bar was empty and only one booth was full when Pete, Zeynep, Todd, Jolene, Jessica, Marc and I arrived. The staff quickly pulled the long center table together for our group of seven. Some ordered drinks, some a couple of tapas, one or two picked an entree. I love that about Ocean: they have domestic drafts and microbrews, a great wine list and innovative cocktails. Their menu ranges from an out-of-this-world burger and salads to short ribs and lobster mac and cheese. I had just finished saying I would not order a salad at Ocean because there are so many other dishes I can't make at home, when Chip, the GM, jokingly challenged me to make the berry vinaigrette in the Arugula & Mache Salad with seasonal berries, celery, and goat cheese. Touche! Some of us shared our dishes, while others hovered protectively over their plates.

I borrowed this pic from Ocean's web site. It's the view from the kitchen door in the back of the restaurant. Family-style table in the center, bar in the middle, entrance to the far right.

Before we left, I inquired about the availability of a table for this week's monthly wine dinner. Silly me. The event usually sells out a month in advance. Shortly after we moved to PA, Brian and Melissa introduced us to this six-course gastronomic tour, accompanied by six custom wine pairings led by a fearless sommelier and served by Ocean's first-class staff. The next one is on Thursday, April 1st. If they aren't sold out already, check out the menu and call for your reservation (610-559-7211). Soon. If you can get in, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment