Sunday, April 04, 2010

Girls on the Run of Lehigh County

I don't consider myself an athlete by any means, but I try to get up and move at five times a week. It's good for me physically, but it's also been a great way to make new friends and bond with people who have similar interests here in the Lehigh Valley.

I preparation for a triathlon race in Quakertown on June 13, I have surrounded myself with some pretty inspirational people. My mom has always been a very active person: she walks, works out, and plays golf and tennis. Her USTA senior tennis team just made it to the regional finals in Princeton (go, Mom! Proud of you!). My trainer Becca has been a great adviser, and Nicole has decided to do the same race, so there will be at least one familiar face at the starting line (though I am sure she will be waiting for me at the finish line!). Kim is training for the San Diego Marathon, Courtney is doing the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon, and they are both coaches for a program called Girls on the Run of Lehigh County.

The Girls on the Run program combines training for a 5K running event with healthy-living education for girls in third through eighth grade. Their programs "instill self-esteem and strong values through health education, life skills development, mentoring relationships, and physical training—all of which are accomplished through active collaboration with girls and their parents, schools, volunteers, staff members, and the community."

On Courtney's recommendation, I signed up as a running buddy for the day of the event. I remember hearing my former colleague Stephanie talk about her great experience a few years ago. On Monday, May 24, I'll be running alongside one of the young women in the program. It's a great way to support girls in our community, meet other runners, and get some exercise on a weeknight. You can register online to volunteer as a coach, running buddy or event staff.

3 comments:

  1. As a related aside, you may be interested to know that one particular group of "Girls on the Run" recently took the initiative to organize a penny collection fundraiser to benefit Bucky Boyle Park (which was arsoned in the fall). The Sheridan Elementary Girls on the Run group organized their classmates and collected $700 in pennies, and secured a $150 donation from Lehigh Valley Hospital as well. You can read more about it in the Friends of the Allentown Parks newsletter: www.allentownparks.org. Pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten4/16/2010

    I ran the Lehigh Valley Half last year benefitting Girls on the Run. It was a great experience and had fun decorating my tiara for the race :-) Have fun as a buddy. I may be able to make it to the run...not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/16/2010

    I'm glad that you registered as a running buddy! It's a great time for the girls and the buddies as well! We will also have a table set up at the lv half marathon expo so be sure to stop by and say hello!

    Samantha
    Council Director
    GOTRLC

    ReplyDelete