Thursday, October 07, 2010

Trick or Treat... 7 days a week!

I finally got around to reading my Go Guide, The Morning Call's weekly insert that features some of the most/only original feature writing in the paper. I only subscribe to the Sunday print edition, but magic elves deliver the paper on Thursday and Friday as well, and I don't complain.

This week, the Go Guide is a veritable to do list for fall fun. A million Halloween events, plus a list of every local parade and trick or treat nights. Yes, nights! For some reason, each Lehigh Valley municipality declares its own special time for kiddies (of all sizes) to go door-to-door begging for candy. In Bethlehem, it's Friday the 28th from 6-8 p.m. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE seeing the kids, especially between the ages of 4 and 7, at my doorstep. Dressed as superheroes, princesses and dinosaurs, they are the cutest thing to arrive on my porch since the fall Boden collection shipment came in (don't worry - it's still buying local, sorta - their US warehouse is near Wilkes-Barre, PA!). But the "big kids" without chaperones are a little scary, and I don't mean their masks and makeup. I know that most of them are not from my neighborhood. They're working the system - since different municipalities have Trick or Treat night at different times, they can clean up by hitting a different town each night. I actually admire their entrepreneurial spirit and energy, but after I've handed out 100 pieces, it's lights out. I can't afford to supply every ghoul and goblin in the 610 area code with candy.

Advice to my neighbors: get here early, because the kids from out-of-town are likely to scoop up the good stuff before you even cross the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment