Monday, November 29, 2010

Cyber Monday in the Lehigh Valley


I love local shopping, but I miss some of the stores I enjoyed when I lived in DC or visited friends in other big cities. Trader Joe's, Anthropologie, Dean & Deluca, Papyrus, and Penzey's are some of my old faves. Since the stores were located in urban locations, I'd pop in to pick up something special after meeting friends for brunch in Chevy Chase, before happy hour in Georgetown, or on the way home from work near the White House. I do the same thing now before Civic Theatre shows in Allentown, after lunch in Historic Bethlehem, or following a visit to the Easton Farmer's Market.

In preparation for Cyber Monday, I did some online research on Cyber Monday Eve (Sunday night). I started by visiting http://www.cybermonday.com/. Lots of dealies all day, some announced by the hour.

Then, I went to my old standby, Retailmenot. For as little shopping as I do online (Boden, Penzey's, maybe Harry & David), I always check Retailmenot.com for discount codes. I frequently find extra gifts and shipping deals. With my standard Penzey's order (including refills of curry powder, garlic salt and cinnamon), I got an extra 1/2 cup jar of Arizona Dreaming and 1/4 cup jar of Bicentennial Rub free.

I wouldn't be me if I didn't remind you of great opportunities to shop locally, too. Retailmenot also keeps track of printable coupons for local retailers. Right now Aardvark Sports Shop is offering 15% off apparel and accessory items (A couponclipper offer). Akroyd Hardware will give you $5 off a $25 purchase (a Valpak offer). And those are just two stores starting with the letter A in Bethlehem. You get the idea!

Also, check out the local site on Etsy to browse some crafts and gifts that 30 local artists have created and shared with the world. From handmade jewelry to stationery, soaps, doll clothing, and stuffed plush cupcakes, there's a wide variety of items as well as price points.

No comments:

Post a Comment