I'm all for supporting local businesses, franchises and indie places. But a recent question and follow-up comments on Twitter got me thinking.
Looking for another local restaurant to try on Thursday night!
@missdezubay Location/Cuisine preference?
@mldrabenstott Near the airport...
@missdezubay Ooh -- dead zone for good restaurants.
Not much of interest unless you head toward Union Blvd -- Pho to East, Alladin
When Vanessa from @ValleyYPs and I were planning to meet for lunch near the airport, I asked her, where do people go for lunch around the airport? She replied: Saladworks.
Especially when you want to meet someone who's "on the other side of the Valley" from where you live or work, the area near Lehigh Valley International Airport (LVIA - but locals and the FAA still call it ABE) is pretty convenient - right off Route 22 and lots of options. So, what's the state of dining near the airport and the industrial parks that surround it? If you've never been, I recommend that you visit Mocha Mike's, Taste of Italy, Copperhead Grille, and Cactus Blue. Here's a breakdown of what's available:
- Coffee: Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and Mocha Mike's (a drive-through at the Westgate Mall - if you have never been, it's fun and convenient)
- Italian/Pizza: Airport Pizza (3360 Airport Road, Allentown), Taste of Italy (1860 Catasauqua Road, Allentown)
- Sushi: Ichiban Japanese Steakhouse (1916 Catasauqua Road, Allentown)
- Hot dogs: Dad's Hot Dogs (2362 Catasauqua Road, Bethlehem) or Yocco's (1930 Catasauqua Road, Allentown)
- Sandwiches, soups, wrap, salads: American Cafe & Grill (995 Postal Road, Allentown), Saladworks Bethlehem (3215 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem), PrimoHoagies (2410 Catasauqua Road, Bethlehem)
- BBQ: Dickey's Barbecue Pit (3221 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem)
- Steaks: Gregory's Restaurant (2201 Schoenersville Road, Allentown), Jack Creek Steakhouse (1900 Catasauqua Road, Allentown), Prime Steak House (325 Stoke Park Road, Bethlehem) a.k.a. "where Steak and Ale used to be."
- Chinese: Mi Chong's (3350 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem) or Garden Family Chinese Restaurant (2915 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem)
- BYOB/no alcohol: Cactus Blue (2915 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem), Friendly's
- Sit-down restaurants with a full bar: Copperhead Grille (1731 Airport Road, Allentown), Roma Ristorante (925 Airport Center Drive, Allentown), Applebee's, Chess'N Checkers (1801 Airport Road, Allentown), Red Robin Gourmet Burgers (1875 Airport Road, Allentown). There will soon be a PJ Whelihan's Pub a.k.a. "where Bennigan's/Paddy's was" (3395 High Point Boulevard, Bethlehem)
- The new shopping center on Airport Road at Route 22 also has The Gyro Company, On the Border, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Panera Bread, and Zoup (1830 Airport Road, Allentown)