Thursday, December 02, 2010

Where to get a Christmas tree in the Lehigh Valley


When it comes to decorating your home for Christmas, there's nothing like a tree inside to get grown-ups in the spirit, delight children and intrigue household pets.

In my opinion, the Lehigh Valley has three camps: Purists who cut their own, people who buy pre-cut trees at fundraisers and garden centers, and those who unpack a pre-lit artificial tree.

When I was a big-city dweller, the best option was buying a pre-cut tree. Artificial's out, due to minimal storage in apartments. And cutting down your own tree meant a meaningful trek, a la Griswolds, into Virginia or Maryland farmland. Plus the city would pick up discarded trees on the curb. Nice.

Pre-cut: I've kept the tradition of buying a pre-cut tree mostly out of habit, and it works well for me. I like the smell, and if I wait until the first weekend in December, it lasts until Christmas. I buy my douglas fir from Dan Schantz Greenhouse in Bethlehem, and I pick up greens for decorating my front porch while I'm there. The greenhouse is currently for sale, and I'm hoping another greenhouse operator will take its place. The Boy Scouts, high school bands and local churches often sell pre-cut trees and fundraisers.

Cut your own: But there are also a few local places to cut your own: F.M. Leith profiled a few farms on Yahoo last year. Don't forget farms just over the border in Warren County, NJ, too: Wyckoff's Tree Farm (249 County Road 519, Belvidere), Evergreen Valley Christmas Tree Farm
(71 Jackson Valley Rd, Washington), and Mt. Bethel Christmas Tree Farm (41 Mt. Bethel Rd., Port Murray) are all within an hour's drive.

Fake it: You can get an artificial tree at almost any department store or big-box store. Dan Schantz has some, and so does Lehigh Valley Home and Garden Center.
Once you have your tree, you need to dress it up: I love the ornaments at Cleo's and Moravian Book Shop in Bethlehem. I like to kick off the holiday season by picking out a few new ornaments to represent the year's milestones. I also shop after the season is over and pack up my treasures for the next year. When I unpacked a box last night, it was like Christmas morning! I'd forgotten I'd picked up a bunch of large silver and black ornaments to hang on a special strand of greens over the doorway.

When the season's over, I toss the tree in the back of the truck, and drop it off at the municipal compost center. Not as easy as curbside pickup (which I hear some municipalities offer), but it's become part of the tradition.

Happy trimming!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/04/2010

    Going with LENHART'S TREE FARM thanks for the information ;)

    ReplyDelete