Sunday, January 16, 2011

Reader looking for restaurant recommendation in Allentown

I received this email:
I was hoping to get you cut on a good place to try for an early dinner tonite with [the girls]. I know you know... with my gang, it's about the food, not ambiance. Whatever you think - we eat like anything international or other.
Here's what I replied:
Good morning! This is a fun assignment. I will post it on the blog and see what the readers say. But I can tell you from personal experience that we LOVE Kow Thai at 12th & Linden. You can eat in but it's mostly take-out. I also dig Sweet Italian (535 N 7th St. - both Italian and South American cuisines) and Winston's, (619 N. 7th St). I have heard good things about Island in the Sun (921 W. Hamilton St.) but have not been there yet. Hope that helps - let me know where you end up!
What would you have said?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/16/2011

    All are great selections.

    Have you tried A La Plancha at
    442 North 8th Street?

    I had lunch there recently and great customer service complemented the delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to A La Plancha! Thanks for the rec.

    BTW the family chose Island in the Sun, and I am expecting a guest blog post about their visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/17/2011

    henry's salt of the sea can't be beat if they're seafood lovers

    ReplyDelete
  4. most of the restaurants of Allentown are very good, but the best food here is definitely authentic and ethnic. We have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to Mexican restaurants. La Placita Mexico, Mexicana Grill, Sweet Italian Pizza (don't let the name fool you), Taqueria Los Amigos and most recently, El Rey. These are all within 5 blocks of Seventh Street, so you can consider that your gateway to great eating.

    ReplyDelete