Thursday, August 04, 2011

Musikfest is almost here!!!

Bethlehem residents and business owners either LOVE LOVE LOVE Musikfest or despise it. Most of those who despise it figured this out years ago and now close the store or go on vacation during the 10-day music, food, and overtaking madness that is 1 million visitors to your neighborhood.

We are lucky to live close enough to walk to the festival, but not so close that we have to deal with litter, trespassers, noise, and parking wars. (Remember my post on saving street spots during a snowstorm? During Musikfest, you'll see the return of the recycling bin and folding chair as placeholder.) Maybe a little more traffic and some street closures downtown, but nothing that would make me want to miss a minute of the Fest.

For me, Musikfest is The Most Wonderful Time Of the Year. It's 10 days straight of some of my favorite things:


  • Free, outdoor music performances

  • Ethnic food

  • Drinking outside

  • Discovering new things

  • Traveling on foot or bike

  • Meeting up with friends

  • Making new friends

  • Celebrating Bethlehem
Last year I wrote about the coming SteelStacks project (maybe you've heard of it now?). The previous year, I gave some helpful tips for navigating the event.

Even if you have visited Musikfest before, there will be a few changes you should be prepared for. Stay tuned to the Express-Times and Morning Call web sites. Both papers cover the event in detail, and will suggest great shows to check out and the best ways to get in, out and around. Or, visit the Musikfest web site, which offers printable schedules, links to artist web sites, and more.

This year I resolve to plan my concert schedule in advance and share it with LV Transplant readers. Maybe I'll see you there!

On Friday night, I want to check out:


  • 6 p.m. Frankenpine - Main Street (street performers who play original bluegrass, country and folk). While I'm on Main Street I should be able to get Take-a-Taco for dinner.

  • 7:30 p.m. maybe Sandlot Heroes, if I can get anywhere near the stage, which will be mobbed with tween fans screaming, and my friend Amanda - Plaza Tropical

  • 9 p.m. Diego's Umbrella - Volksplatz (Mexi-Cali-gypsy-pirate-polka!? I must investigate) or Peter Karp & Sue Foley at my favorite stage, Liederplatz
If you're one of the lucky thousands who has tickets to see Stone Temple Pilots play at Sands Steel stage, give yourself ample time to get to the new venue. If you find you get there early, you can enjoy the free music playing at the town square and Levitt Pavilion in front of SteelStacks and get something to eat and drink before the show.

Here's a little Musikfest blog roll FYI:
Musikfest Photo Scavenger Hunt by LVWithLove
How to get around the South Side by Eskandalo!
Musikfest Preview - History in the Making by ArtsLehigh
Lineup at Brew Works during Musikfest by Bethlehem Brew Works

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan! I truly enjoy my shout-out, it honestly made me laugh out loud. I will be there early tomorrow (6 or so), just text me if you want to meet up during the show! I think Jill is coming too. I am sure I will see you Fest-ing this week if not tomorrow night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to go to, but last year some "festers" took my hanging plants from the front porch. I live close to the downtown area... this year, I'm bringing it all in for the week!

    ReplyDelete