Friday, October 07, 2011

Weekend in the Lehigh Valley

Last week, FH was out of town for a few days, and immediately after he returned, I was out two nights in a row with a Junior League meeting and statistics class. Friday night we stayed in and caught up on DVR TV, including The Sing-Off. We love to cheer for the a capella performers and mock Nick Lachey. (See, we're not socialites every night of the week!)

Here's where my insatiable curiosity and blogger tendencies kick in. I wondered whether there were any a capella groups in the Lehigh Valley, so I searched the 'net and found:
Sweet Adelines
Lehigh Valley Harmonizers
Muhlenberg College's NoteWorthy
Lehigh University's Melismatics
Lafayette College' Soulfege, Chorduroys, Quintessence and Cadence
I think the Lehigh Valley could have its own Sing-Off!

When Saturday rolled around and it wasn't raining, I took the opportunity to buy some mums and garden stuff from Lowe's (now that I don't have a Dan Schantz Greenhouse nearby - Boo) and pretty up the front of our house. Stella supervised, of course.

Then in the afternoon, we met our friend Sara at ArtsQuest's Oktoberfest, taking place on the SteelStacks campus. It was $10 at the gate. We bumped into Molly and Ryan and Katie and Paul, both with extended families in tow, and saw lots and lots of little wiener dogs. We missed the dachshund races, but they were darn cute even just walking around. We enjoyed a couple of drinks (me and Sara = spiked hot cider; FH = an IPA). The Oktoberfest continues this weekend, too.

Then, because we were craving something more than a sausage and schnitzel, we stopped by The Mint for dinner. The new fall menu is out, including wasabi pea soup (YUM) and brisket sliders (TRIPLE YUM). Like most places serving microbrews these days, demand far exceeds supply, so the beer list is new all the time, too. I had a stout that tasted like creme brulee and a hefeweisen that tasted like bananas and cloves. (So I didn't need dessert.) The vibe was relaxed but busy inside the restaurant, as it began to pour outside.

On Sunday, Dad, Lauren and Stella joined me on one of my Lehigh Valley expeditions. Until I read this blog post, I had never heard of Columcille Megalith Park, let alone realized it was in nearby Bangor, PA. It wasn't a long hike, but the path was surrounded by stones large and small. If you haven't been, check out the web site, then go explore.

This weekend will look a little bit like last weekend, except there will be more studying for the GRE. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment