Wednesday, February 06, 2013

I ran a 10K, Part 1


This past Sunday, I completed a running race. But for me, the goal was the training, not the race itself. At six weeks post-partum, I was given the green light to exercise. I met with my trainer, Becca, who developed a plan including running and resistance training to get me ready to run a 10K race hosted by the Lehigh Valley Road Runners on Super Bowl Sunday. Unfortunately, my training plan was slightly derailed by a sinus infection before Christmas followed by a beastly bout of bronchitis which lasted nearly three weeks. Then it snowed the night before the race. My husband told me he was worried about my running, but I assured him I’d take it easy and bring my inhaler, run with a buddy, etc.

On the morning of the race, I picked up Lindsay and together we headed over to Lehigh Parkway, where the race began. Waved to Cari, my Junior League pal who inspires me. We picked up our bibs and swag (pretty shirts!) and headed back to the car to stay warm. Honked at my friend Jill from book club, doing a warm-up. Greeted my colleagues who signed up because I encouraged them to. I thought about how the day could have gone: I could have stayed warm all day, snuggled up on the sofa with my baby, dog and husband. Instead I chose to wake up early, and push myself to run 6.2 miles in the snow. I wasn’t the fastest runner, or the one in the fanciest running gear (or Boston Marathon T-shirt – ok, we get it, dude). But I showed up, which is more than 200-some registrants did. I walked a little, when I felt I needed to, but I ran the last mile at a good pace and crossed the finish line with a smile. In training for the race, I did a good thing for my health and my family. But race day was for me. 


Push.

3 comments:

  1. GO MEGAN! So proud of you for doing this! And I totally agree with you--it's the journey, not the destination that's memorable. Can't wait for Part 2--and what your next fitness plans are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog for a while. I'm a native of Bethlehem, but left for a while and love seeing all your suggestions of things to do around town. I feel like I'm getting to know my hometown.

    This is such an inspirational post. I have an 8 month old and have been procrastinating my "get in shape" regimen. I have so many excuses (a sinus infection now is one of them!), but I really think I need to take a cue from you and get out there - after all it's just as much for my family as it is for me to be healthy and active!

    Thanks for being an inspiration and for all your great tips about the LV :) Congrats on completing a 10K! It's a great achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana and Carolyn! Carolyn, if you ever want to run together, let me know! In the springtime I want to get out there with the jogging stroller.

      Dana - Stella and I miss our freezing cold runs! Hope you are enjoying a frosty Michigan winter.

      Delete